Join a small group of photographers (max 5) on game drives in the famous South Luangwa National Park, Zambia. South Luangwa is one of the best locations in Africa for wildlife with over 60 species of mammals, including hippo, giraffe, lion, leopard, wildebeest, zebra, antelope, buffalo and the endangered wild dog. There are also over 400 species of birds recorded in the valley, so the photo opportunities are outstanding! Every game drive is led by knowledgeable and passionate safari guides. Photographers of all levels are welcome, from absolute beginners to seasoned professionals. Learn from your fellow photographers in an open environment where no questions are too basic.
On this safari, you will make use of a customized photography-safari vehicle with swing arms to accommodate clamps with camera mounts. A maximum of five people plus the photographic guide are accommodated on the game drive vehicle, to ensure all participants have ‘window’ seats. The vehicle is completely open, allowing you to have 360-degree horizontal views and 180-degree vertical views-(canvas top can be removed for this) for capturing images.
Assistance from your photography guide is available at all times, including reviewing and discussing images once back in camp and instruction in post-processing of your images. This personal approach results in the best possible opportunity of improving your wildlife photography skills.
There are also two photographic hides at the camp that can be used during the tour. Here especially during the dry month's animals can be found visiting the waterholes and photographic opportunities are plenty.
DAY 1: MEET & GREET/FLIGHT TO MFUWE IN SOUTH LUANGWA NATIONAL PARK
When you arrive at Mfuwe International Airport ,you will be welcomed and Transfer to Wildlife Camp, depending on time of flight meals will be arranged accordingly.
Before dinner- Meet and greet rest of tour participants and tour-leader, discuss interests and ask some questions.
DAY 2-7: PHOTOGRAPHY SAFARI – SOUTH LUANGWA NATIONAL PARK
Typical daily schedule
- 05:15 Wake-up call and light breakfast at the restaurant
- 05:45 Drive to the main gate of the National Park
- 06:00 Photographic safari in a private vehicle with guide driver and a photography guide
- 10:00 Return to the lodge for a break
- 11:30 Brunch
- 12:30 Free time-(Make use of one of the hides available)
- 15:00 Tea and coffee and snack / briefing about afternoon program
- 15:30 Start the late afternoon and evening safari
- 18:00 Sundowners at a scenic spot in the park
- 18:30 Spotter in passenger front seat with a spotlight for nocturnal animals
- 19:30 Return to camp
- 20:30 Three-course dinner will be served
- 21:00 Free time
DAY 8: TRANSFER TO MFUWE AIRPORT/FLIGHT TO LUSAKA – ONWARD CONNECTION
Depending on flight time breakfast will be served before transfer to Mfuwe International Airport.
- Input, suggestions and informal instruction on anything related to photography
- Casual talks, briefings or workshops appropriate to each day’s activities
- Flexible instruction topics to suit photographers of any skill level
- All safari activities (two game drives per day except day of arrival/departure)
- Use of photographic hides
- Services of the lodge guides & staff
- Relevant park fees
- All meals, national beer (Mosi), soft drinks and bottled water
- Laundry service
- Return Domestic Flight (Lusaka – Mfuwe -Lusaka)
What is Not Included?
- Travel Insurances
- International airfare
- Visas – $50.00 for Zambia tourist visa Single Entry
- Personal purchases (including curios, drinks not specified, telephone, etc.)
- Optional extra activities
- 2 Camera bodies (for peace of mind / fast switching of focal lengths)
- Spare memory cards, batteries and charger. Small multi outlet electric extension cord to charge 3 devices at one time
- Lenses: Long telephoto lens 300/400/500, 150-600 zoom or 100-400 zoom with 1.4/1.5 Teleconverter, telephoto lens 70-200 or equivalent, Wide angle lens for wider wildlife images.
- Flash (external), extra batteries, A flash bracket (Inexpensive ones available from Neewer, Vello and Stroboframe), flash off-shoe cord to eliminate ‘green-eye’ when photographing animals at night.
- Notebook, laptop or additional storage device
- Gimbal Head (vehicle has mount), please bring your own arca-swiss plates with you.
- Empty bean bag (rice to fill at camp)
- As a general guide, comfortable, casual, wash, and wear clothes are recommended. Please note that muted colors are recommended for game viewing. Khaki, green, beige, and neutral colors are recommended.
- Shirts with long sleeves (even in summer, as protection from the sun and mosquitoes).
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- A jacket, fleece or sweater is recommended for early morning and evening game drives
- Comfortable walking shoes and/or sandals
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, moisturizer, and lip-salve are all essentials
- Please note that this Is a Malaria Area and Proper Precautions Should Be Taken. We recommend your Discuss with Your Doctor on Which Medication to Use.
Every photographic tour needs a minimum of 4 people on tour otherwise will be canceled and deposits paid will be returned.
- First, enquire about space on a specific tour. If available ask to book and confirm the booking by making the required deposit of 30%.
- Only payment via direct transfer or Visa, MasterCard, or Amex is accepted.
- Deposit is non-refundable on Confirmed tours with minimum required people on tour, if minimum requirements are not reached deposits will be returned.
- If a tour is cut short and/or any of the services included in the price not used, there will be no refund.
- Full payment is due 60 days before the tour start date.
- 59-30 days 50% of tour fee
- 29 or fewer before departure date 100% of your Tour Fee